Sept 21 reading
Reading time during the day was never something I've given more than a second to think about. I would just pull out my phone and read the time straight off the phone screen. I didn't consider where it had come from as time feels inevitable and I assumed that this way of counting time by 60 seconds 60 minutes and 24 hours was inevitable as well. Reading the two articles presented offered me a new perspective on time and showed me how complicated it must have been to come up with this system that I take for granted everyday. I did not know that we had leap seconds that occasionally occurred on top of the leap years that we already have. The two articles touch upon different fields for the origins of this counting convention, as one seems to focus on theories more rooted in logic while the other focuses on theories rooted in function. Seeing how the people in the past came up with these number systems purely based on counting on their fingers or their finger joints and built all of mathematics around that is surprising. But I've always found months and weeks to be very inconsistent. Each month is considered to have 4 weeks, and each week is considered 7 days. So, wouldn't it make sense to just make each month consistently 28 days or just make every month 30 days? But as the article states, old civilizations knew that there are more than 360 days in a year, so why would we force that into a 12 base system instead of building our number system around one revolution of Earth. It is very weird that certain things we fit into the 60 base systems while others we fit into 12 base systems and some fit into none, while base 10 systems are used in math. I can now see why kids hate math.
Some of that variation in the lengths of months is related to trying to reconcile the length of a moon cycle with our seasonal
ReplyDeletesun cycle. They don’t quite fit, but we kind of wish they would…
Your question about why we live with this mix of 10, 12, 24, and 60 made me think about the MacTutor article. It gives several possible explanations for base 60, but then challenges the assumption that someone deliberately “chose” 60 in the first place. Maybe the inconsistencies you notice are partly what we should expect when systems develop over long periods of time rather than being designed all at once.
ReplyDelete