Sept 16 Reading
It was very surprising to see so many different regions of the world contributing to the development of mathematics. As throughout the courses I've been in, there are a few names that stand out but they all have an European origin. Even with the "Dark Ages" that stunted mathematical development, all the other regions continued to research and explore mathematics and I'm assuming that they communicated that somehow to the European scholars. The article touches upon individual mathematical development within regions as well, but I wonder how that works. Do regions happen to explore different paths of mathematics or do they sometimes have overlap and do the same thing but use different symbols or approach it differently that need to be standardized. Kind of like some cultures using base 60. Or if Egypt and Mesopotamia never communicated their discoveries but just happened to have similar results.
The "Chinese Remainder Theorem" is mentioned in the article. I still remember learning this in class. It is crazy how I am learning this thousands of years later. Somehow this knowledge was passed down this long and still used to this day. The people of the past coming up with these crazy theorems and discoveries really perplexes me as I wonder how they came up with something that is still considered difficult to understand today thousands of years ago. How do we make our next generation as creative as the people of this time as we are constantly trying to catch up to our ancestors that we don't even get to innovate ourselves.
I was very curious about one thing while reading this article: what did children learn in school? How were schools set up back then. Since nowadays we are "forced" to learn math, english, science etc. But seeing how the knowledge of mathematics was all over the place, and the sharing of this knowledge was very limited, I wonder how young students would acquire this knowledge and expand on it as we are expected to do in modern times. I believe apprenticeship was common in these times and schools were not accessible to everyone, but then I wonder how civilizations developed to where we are now. How did society "produce" enough people with an extensive knowledge of something important like mathematics to maintain a sense of progress and technological advancement?
Your question about whether different cultures developed similar mathematics independently or learned from one another connects to something I kept noticing in the reading. In some cases, Joseph shows evidence that cultures were in contact, but that doesn’t always mean we know whether a particular mathematical idea was actually exchanged. It makes the history of mathematics feel less like a clear timeline and more like a puzzle with some pieces still missing.
ReplyDelete